Messages of Kindness & Peace
Mills Lawn Project Peace
Artist Residency 2013
All first graders will have one session with the visiting artists during art class time.
Pre-Lesson (preparation in classroom before art class)
- Classroom teacher can read One written by Kathryn Otoshi with students.
- Discuss & explore concepts from the book about feelings, bullying, standing up for others, etc.
Art Session—1A on Monday 2/11, 1G on Tuesday 2/12 (Led by Artist Allison Paul)
Artist will re-read the book “One” to the students, pose guiding questions & model the writing activity
- Students will brainstorm, with help of volunteers, and develop a draft page of responses to questions (goal of 1-2 “messages of kindness & peace”/student …could be more if time allows)
- Students write messages on prepared strips of fabric using pencil first; permanent markers will be passed out and students write over their penciled words (assistance from volunteers).
Teachers will demonstrate steps of dying/painting process for students and model for classroom volunteers.
- Fold fabric strips accordion style and secure with paper clips or rubber bands.
- Place prepared fabric into containers of dye (liquid watercolors and tempera)
- Take off the paper clips or rubber bands and unfold the first strip.
- Paint additional blue watercolors onto the white areas of the fabric strip and set it aside.
- Hang to dry; repeat with additional strips as time allows.
Classroom Extension Activities:
Students may benefit from exploring the guiding concepts listed each week of the residency schedule, and through other classroom activities related to bullying and peacemaking. See the book list on our google doc and books selection in the MLS library. First grade students will take their draft pages of “messages of kindness & peace” with them after art session one. Teachers may wish to extend these student-developed concepts into discussion, role-play or picture making activities.
You might also want to check out these PBS streaming videos (Type in the video URL or go to our google doc “Links to PBS Videos” to hyperlink):
Martha Speaks: Martha Walks the Dog Grades K-1 There’s a new, mean dog in town. Use this resource to show your young students that first impressions can be deceiving sometimes. http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/msrb12.ela.walksdog/martha-walks-the-dog
Dinosaur Train: Including Friends PreK-1 Talk about feeling like an outsider with your class. Recognize what actions a friend can take to help someone feel included and valued. http://www.pbslearningmedia.org/search/?q=dinosaur+train%3A+including+friends
(scroll down to the episode “Including Friends”)